By Jill Duffy
View the Original article
For millions of people, (free; premium accounts available) is the number one online network for developing a professional network, finding new opportunities, and building a career. Everyone over the age of 20, should have a account. I've heard the odd complaint that the site isn't well designed for certain job functions, such as academics, and that users have been enrolled against their wishes in multiple email lists (not to mention that unsubscribing isn't as straightforward as it should be)—and yes, I'll give you that. But the benefits of far outweigh its nuisances, making it a clear Editors' Choice site and one that I would recommend virtually every adult use.
The site, which launched in 2003, is the place where professionals stay connected. You can think of it as a social networking site—and certainly, a good deal of socialization does take place—although it's really more of a professional networking site. I use it as an exclusive replacement for business cards, which are almost always out of date within a year. With , I can find people from past jobs, volunteer work, schools, professional groups, and put the onus on them to keep their contact information current. Similarly, people in my network can find me. Whether they're searching for someone with specific skills for a new opportunity or are merely looking for an introduction to another contact, facilitates that communication and many others that have real business and career value.
View the Original article
No comments:
Post a Comment